Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Stress management or life's punch in the face?

As I write this, I'm sitting on my bed trying to "multi-task."  I'm also working on some Finance homework for the MBA that I'm pursuing.  I bring this up because it's only part of the iceberg that is our life (my wife and I's).

My day, especially when doing school work, begins at 5 with an important cup of coffee (or pot of it).  I'm usually doing some school work, grading my students (more on that in a minute), working on workout plans, or just writing this blog.  I am usually to work around 7 to begin training the moment I arrive.  My day is often broken up between training, exerci
se classes, classes at the University, and every so often a meeting.

I teach four classes, identical, at the local university (keeping the name silent here).  They are all health & fitness related and I have about 80-100 students combined.  Fortunately, this is something that I've been doing for quite some time.  I usually change something up each semester because I want to be effective for my students, not boring, and want them to learn something.  There's a fair amount of outside the class preparation time associated with this, so this adds to the iceberg.

I train about 25-35 hours per week, to include any classes that I teach (usually boxing).  Most of the time, this is the fun part of my day.  Every so often my body, my focus, and even sometimes my emotions become involved with each person or each hour.

To top this all off, my day doesn't end with work.  Three kids and a wife are also part of my life.  Make no mistake, most of what I do is for them.  This usually results in me being exhausted half of the time, but in the end if they're happy and healthy because of what I do, it's worth it.

My exercise at this point is usually really quick, no longer any of the 6 mile runs that I had over the summer; though as I write this, one of my toes is likely broken, which makes exercise much more challenging.  I try to get about 3 hours a week of my own workouts, not to include the exercise that I have the privilege of "piggybacking" on mostly in boxing/kickboxing.

My stress isn't actually very high.  While this almost seems overwhelming, it has it's moments of where it is and where it isn't.  Usually, the first week of any major change, like last week, involves a mountain of stress upon my shoulders.  Afterwards, it's generally pretty easy and manageable, thanks to a good battle rhythm.

I also always revert back to times in my life where I was in worse circumstances, mostly while in the Marine Corps.  And nothing at this point is that difficult or demeaning.

Find the outlet for your stress, and keep the iceberg afloat.  Fail to do this and you'll plunge into the dark waters of stress.

No comments:

Post a Comment