Monday, November 20, 2017

Invoking the 80-20 rule

This week is Thanksgiving week.  Something that we all do, if you're American, is eat a lot of food in a short amount of time.  It's the epitome of excess in this country, but at the same time, many of us do reflect on what we are thankful for as well. 

Before I go into the excess and how it relates to my title, I want to say that I'm thankful for my family, my friends, my career, and my faith.  Without all of these, I believe I would not be who and what I am today.  I know that I'm still growing in all of those areas, but I also have grown a lot in
all of those areas as well. 

The 80-20 rule.  In business, this would illustrate that 80% of the results comes from 20% of the effort.  In health & fitness, this is really similar as well.  Think about how much you exercise and how many of those aesthetic (how you look) results you get from i
t.  There's not a lot is there?  For many of us, at least appearance-wise, most of the work comes from diet.  So 80% diet, 20% exercise would indicate a positive result. 

There are definite exceptions to this.  Many of the athletes I have the privilege to work with typically invoke the opposite of this, 80% exercise and 20% diet.  This is often because of the nature of the sport that they participate in, such as basketball or wrestling, in which there is a tremendous amount of exercise daily in terms of practices or competitive events (I'm reluctant to say "game" due to some of them being more appropriately entitled "match").  Obviously these individuals are an exception, but they are still there.

The rest of us though, could use the 80-20 rule to establish our physical changes.  If we spent more time devoted into identifying the foods that we eat and what we should be consuming, and less time spent mindlessly going through exercises that only allow for us to "break even" then we would reach our goals that much faster.  I cannot say that I'm innocent in this area, clearly not, but I am like most dads and married men, trying to make a living and do what's best for the family. 

Meal planning can go a long way.  It takes some work to get started, but once you have a system built, it can easily be maintained.  For those with families, this may take longer to build, but you can still get one done.  A good approach would be a protein, a starch, and 2 vegetables (not potatoes or similar, but green) at each meal.  This is simple enough, right?  So basically per person, you're looking at a chicken breast, a cup of rice or a sweet potato, a cup of broccoli and several asparagus spears. 

If you can break down your family meals this way, you can back up and begin working on the remainder.  Most of the time, my lunches are what we had for dinner either the night before or from previous nights.  I also don't usually eat breakfast, not anymore.  I find that I function better on 2 meals per day rather than a bunch.  I also don't feel hungry all that often, which isn't something that's too bad for me. 

In any case, invoke the 80-20 rule in your life.  Spend more time figuring out your meal preparation
than your exercise and you'll find the success that you need.  

No comments:

Post a Comment