Wednesday, November 8, 2017

I have the brains..

After the Marine Corps, I attended the University of North Carolina at Wilmington pursuing a degree in Physical Education.  My original plan was to be a PE teacher and to transform young minds.  Fortunately and unfortunately I was an idealist at the time.  My intentions were great, and with the growing childhood obesity rate, my intentions were noble, but I quickly learned that it was not the smartest decision. 

From start to finish, I was in college for 3 years.  The addition of summer classes helped to speed it up.  Midway-late through my junio
r year, I was on an observation at a middle
school.  We were also given some freedom to "assist" the PE teacher.  This was the moment I learned that this was not the right route for me.  I was pretty sure that nothing good would come of me being a teacher in the conventional sense, and so I changed my major from PE to Exercise Science.  Fortunately, it was only the addition/substitution of a few classes and I was still en route to graduate when planned. 

I applied to three universities for graduate school, at this point realizing that a Master's Degree was the only correct choice.  The 3 universities that I applied to was the University of Georgia, East Carolina University, and Appalachian State University.  I was eventually accepted to all three, with a different focus at each, but my heart was to attend Appalachian State, which I ended up doing.  My original "plan" was to be a strength & conditioning coach, and in the end I"m happy that I didn't end up being one. 

Graduate school was intense but necessary.  My first year was a constant "whiskey, tango, foxtrot" of dealing with the academic rigors.  Midway through my first and second years, I was given an internship where I currently work, and it was though some family connections that allowed for it to be.  My own work ethic then allowed for me to push through and eventually become who I am today. 

I am happy that the trials and tribulations that were in my life were there.  Without these, I wouldn't be in the position that I am in today.  Without these, I cannot imagine where I'd be and I honestly don't like that idea.  My education is what brought me to my life, to my wife, my kids, and my friends.  It's an important chapter in my life and without it I wouldn't' be who I am today. 

Next week, I'll be discussing my post-academic career and how it's shaped my training style, my approach, and my philosophy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment