Wednesday, June 7, 2017

My training routine

Since I'm not currently looking at any competition to guide my training, what do I train for and what do I do?

I usually have two major training "seasons," which are the fall/winter season and the spring/summer/fall season.  Within each, there are many variations due to workflow, and thus I don't often get to work out when I would desire.

Most of the time, the fall/winter is the time for me to build muscle mass & strength.  This is ideal since going outside often doesn't happen due to the sub-zero temperatures, snow, ice, or combination thereof.  Most of the time the programs that I use are built around four lifts, the squat, dead-lift, overhead press, and bench press.

Right now, we're in the spring/summer/fall season and one of the principle drives for me at the moment is fat loss & weight management.  I have battled my entire life with my weight and so while I can put on some muscle in the previous season, I also put on a lot of fat mass.  Right now, my training routine is largely running & cardio centric.  I also lift 2x per week rather than the 4-5 days in the other season.

Since I have a training partner, most of the time, we usually reserve Mondays for a faster, shorter run.  Tuesdays & Thursdays are lifting days which center around the lifts I previously mentioned.  Wednesdays are usually some non-impact related cardio such as a bicycle or elliptical, this is my least favorite day but I trudge on with it.  Lastly Fridays are usually a longer, slower run so we can burn some additional calories.

All of this helps out tremendously, as well as the nutritional goals that I've set, which largely consists of eating less than I had been and also eating slower.

There you have it, my general training schedule.  This does omit any sparring or boxing/kickboxing that I do, which is usually inconsistent.  

No comments:

Post a Comment