Monday, June 5, 2017

I train so I can drink beer and not be fat

It's a lot true.  There's many reasons to why I train, one of which is so that I can drink beer and not be super huge.  I really don't drink all that often either, mostly just Fridays and/or Saturday nights.  This is a far cry from some time ago where it was most nights, with perhaps those two being the nights off (I doubt it).

However, most of what I desire as a result of training conflicts with alcohol.  There's research out there on the effects of cardiovascular responsiveness and red wine consumption, which is generally positive.  However, the effects on strength is generally negative, usually resulting in either the reduction or stagnation of it.

This isn't to say to go out and only drink wine because you want the cardio benefits, it's just a side effect of the wine consumption.  I just enjoy the taste and relaxation effects of beer, which is why I generally choose it.  However, I attempt it strategically so as to not sabotage my lifting, or weight management for that matter.

So think about the real reasons that you train.  Is it to look good?  Is it to lift heavy things?  To beat the zombies?  Or is it realistic, to keep up with your kids and to not feel like every little thing you do hurts?  

No comments:

Post a Comment