Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Update on the Dad-Bod Adventure

My training, and very often diet, goes in cycles.  Usually the winter months, especially where I live in the mountains, is spent lifting heavy weight and generally eating a less than stellar diet. In the past, the summer was usually getting up early and going for a run or a loaded walk, basically one with a 50+lbs backpack on.

In May, I was convinced to begin running and have actually enjoyed myself while doing it.  When I began the running, I was a stout 232 lbs, this coming off of a winter and spring of lifting and honestly eating whatever I wanted to.  I could barely run about 200 yards without gasping for breath.  I could do a lot of other things relatively well, but was basically sucking wind the whole time.

As of today, August, I'm down to about 218 (I'll have an updated weigh in later today).  I can run upwards around 6 miles without stopping, at a 9-10 min mile pace.  I can still do many of the things, such as deadlift above 400lbs and squat above 350, that I was able to do at the heavier weight.  I feel better overall, both internally (you know, health), and externally (appearance).

Most of what I have been able to do is because of better monitoring my eating, improving my cardiovascular fitness, and through positive encouragement from friends and family.  I promise you, even as a fitness coach, it's not an easy endeavor.  I work long days helping others and often my own fitness and nutrition becomes neglected in doing so.

My goal is to reach 210, at that point I'll be doing another dietary modification so that I can trim down the fat mass.  I honestly like to remain at that weight if I'm able to.  It's the perfect storm of being large enough to do the weights, small enough to run, and fast enough to fight.

Don't ever think you cannot do anything, all you need is the support, encouragement, and sometimes the coaching.  

No comments:

Post a Comment