Monday, July 31, 2017

Securing yourself against defeat

Thus the good fighter is able to secure himself against defeat, but cannot make certain of defeating the enemy. 
-Sun Tzu, The Art of War

In lifting, cardio, fighting, whatever....we have the power to conquer the exercises at hand.  Sour security to conquer is in us, by training hard and consistently.  The effort required of us in training allows for us to win out, not to be defeated by the task at hand.  

Usually, when I attempt a max effort lift or a run to achieve a specific time is when I discover whether or not I was adequately prepared and strategic with my training.  Recently it was a run that I attempted, and won out on, that tested me and my training.  


I used to run a lot, but in recent years I've been slack because it just hasn't been fun until very recently.  Since May, I've been doing a lot more running, largely due to the dad bod and the 232lbs I was up to.  Now I'm back down into the 2-teens and only recently I ran a sub-eight minute mile.  Barely, but still made it.  

Spending so much time lifting, I forgot how it was to conquer a cardio goal.  It was awesome. However, it was also very, very hard.  I could've easily not have made it, due to the wind, heat, whatever.  But I came in at 7:59 for a mile, the 2nd following it was above 10 minutes.  

To push myself to that point was wonderful, but hard.  I trained and trained, without knowing if I'd be successful or not, but won out in the end.  I secured myself from defeat, but wasn't certain about defeating the run.  

Train hard, train smart, train consistently and you'll be ready for any "enemy" that comes your way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment