Wednesday, May 3, 2017

The lift that conquers me

Everyone who lifts has one that conquers them.  I happen to have 2 that tend to beat the hell out of me. These two are the Snatch (Olympic lift) and the bench press.  I honestly don't perform the snatch too often, so I don't want to even pretend I like it or can improve.  However, the bench is something that I do perform more frequently.

The bench press is a relatively simple exercise that involves you laying on a bench, lifting a bar up off the pins, bringing it down to your chest and pushing it back up.  Simple right?  As the squat and the deadlift, which I had posted about previously, are simple they are not easy.

Some of the most effective and the best things that you can do aren't complicated, but often they're not easy.  And at some point, you'll encounter one that conquers you, regardless of how often you attack it.  This isn't to say give up.  It's just that you keep attacking and don't give up.

For your upper body, there are not too many things that are more effective over the bench press.  I might argue the pull-up or even the overhead press, but still, they are different altogether and will be the subject of a later post.

Lifting is war.  Each success that is made is like a battle that has been won, but the war never ends.  Sometimes there are setbacks, sometimes roadblocks, sometimes difficult terrain, but keep the faith in that you'll prevail in the end, as long as you don't quit.

The lift may conquer me, but in the end, I'll conquer it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment