Monday, April 3, 2017

Lifting can be the most rewarding thing to piss you off

Just before March ended, by about a week, I finished up one of the most tortuous lifting programs that I can do.  Truthfully, it wasn't anything that was super hard, but I felt burnt out and beat up towards the end.  On my scheduled days to "max" my body and the weights did not agree, with the weights laughing at me the whole time.

If I took a week off, I'd probably be able to go into it and hit the maxes that I thought I could reach.  I basically spent the last 5 or 6 months frying my Central Nervous System with hitting big (for me at the time) weights on a very regular basis.  I have about 3 joints that also felt completely beat up, mainly my left elbow and knee and my right hip.

After I failed, which honestly pissed me off to no end, I took a week off and as I write this today I feel great.  Most weeks, my body has to tense up fairly often for a variety of people to strike in various ways, from kicks to punches.  So I really don't get full-blown rest until I take a vacation.  I don't plan on reattempting the maxes at all, just an overhaul of the plan that I was lifting to.

Early on, I felt that progress was definitely being made.  It was rewarding to reach some numbers that I either hadn't before or was only just getting back to.  Towards the end, however, the warm-ups were nearly kicking my ass.  My thoughts into this were that I went from a high volume/high-intensity program, performing big lifts nearly every single day, to an even more neurological aggressive program without any in-between rest.


I'm still going to be chasing after my goals for the year, but I'm going to take a step back and manage it better.  I need to add more cardio to my life, even though I'm not a fan of it.  Most of this is to get my weight back down some, as it's gotten a little out of control with only focusing on the lifting.  As I've alluded to in prior posts, my body is in a perpetual state of war with weight management.

To watch some of the progress, follow me on Instagram at martin_iii_mc

No comments:

Post a Comment