Friday, December 15, 2017

Injuries happen, and when they do.

Right now, I'm dealing with a wrist sprain.  It's on my non-dominant arm, but nevertheless it made me realize how much I use this arm in my day-to-day activities.  I also realized how stubborn I was in that it took about 3-5 people to basically convince me to get it checked out.  In the end, after some x-rays, it's sprained and not broken.

Seeing how stubborn I am regarding being injured leads me to my next point, what happens when we're injured.  If you're like I am, and injure your arm/hand/wrist, and you use it in your daily life as part of it, you need to rehab and heal quickly.  Another trainer at the gym is dealing with a similar injury, except that his is a rib injury; and, like myself, he's stubborn in resting it. 

Rest, rehab, and recovery are all important.  To some extent we can train through
or around some of it, but we don't fully recover from our injuries this way.  Sometimes we need to recover in order to rise from it better than we were before.  I am fortunately not stubborn in this area. 

I am at the point now to where my lifting is non-existent, because it hurts the wrist, and my sparring is limited.  Fortunately there, I can develop my kicks and use my dominant arm in a much greater capacity than I do, so there is a positive.  However, it still is a buzzkill because I'm limited in my choices. 

So, when you're injured, don't be stubborn like I am and wait to get it checked out.  Go ahead and take care of it as soon as you can so that you're not in a position to wait longer to get back to doing what you do.  Rest the injury, rehab (if necessary), and recover from the injury so that you may rise from it better than you were before.  

No comments:

Post a Comment