Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Take a rest!

So this week was a planned rest week.  This ended up being a wonderful thing because I got sick for the last day and a half, so lifting would've been next to impossible.  Rest is one of those things that is necessary for us but if you're anything like I am, you're too stubborn to take a day or so.

My original plan for the week was to lift Monday and then do some light-moderate cardio most of the week.  Even if I did say I hate doing cardio in my last post.  Honestly, cardio is something that I need to maintain weight or it all falls apart on me.

Next week I begin a new lifting plan.  It doesn't seem nearly as aggressive as the last one, which was extremely aggressive.  This also only has me lifting 3 days per week instead of 4.  Sometimes cutting it down really helps.  I think the problem was with the last one is by the time I got to the point to where I could max, I was burned out and unable to perform at optimal levels.

That's what makes this rest week wonderful.  Other than I was sick, it's something that helps for me and many others reset the system.  Likely if I were to go ahead and max on Monday or Tuesday of next week, I'd perform well.  I'm not planning to, however, just start a new thing with similar goals.

So, if you're feeling the burnout and need something new, don't hesitate to take a rest day or even a rest week.  It's hard for a lot of people to wrap their heads around, but it is vital to your success or failure.

No comments:

Post a Comment