Thursday, January 11, 2018

The music that moves you!

When you workout, what's the music that moves you?  What pushes you harder than you could without it?  Each of us gravitate towards a different genre, tempo, or mood. 

What I tend to listen to
My music choice is dependent on my mood.  It's not that I don't like a variety of genres, but I do have some I prefer over others.  It also depends on what I'm doing, such as driving, lifting, running, or relaxing. 

Most of the time when I'm driving I listen to podcasts over music, unless my day has been sort of stressful.  This allows for me to learn new things doing something I do anyway.  If any of the family is in the car, I tend to put on music, generally a radio station rather than my own playlists.  Usually it's the country station (for my wife) or the Christian station (for me) when they're in the car. 

Running is different.  Sometimes I zone out to some Marine Corps cadences (on Spotify) and other times I need a fast paced style like Metallica.  The running cadences are for that exact purpose, and if you've ever been in the military you know that it's sometimes helpful to allow you to keep up the pace.  With Metallica (and others like them) it's partially the speed of the music and the length of the songs.  An example would be Master of Puppets, which clocks in at around 8:48, that's about a mile for me.  You get a lot of these cheesy pop songs that clock in about 3 min and that's not enough to get you through anything. 

Screenshot of some of what I like
Lifting is dependent on what I'm doing.  Most of the time it's some high-speed power metal or Christian rock (or a mix of those).  More-often than not, it's background noise and I'm not particularly focused on anything other than what I'm doing.  With lifting, I kind of like the more epic storytelling approach, such as Ayreon (I know, you're probably like ?????).  If I'm lifting with a partner, then I do tend to go with whatever they want, since it's usually more mainstream than what I like. 

As you can see, I adjust my music for what I'm doing and who I'm with.  I made an attempt one day to put on what I like in one of my classes and that ended up with a lot of nope. 

So what music moves you?  Why does it?  Just something to think about as you do your thing in the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment