Monday, October 16, 2017

When should you eat?

So in my previous two posts, I talked about calories and macros.  In this post, I want to go into when you should be eating.  First, you need to make sure that your calories are where they should be.  Before you figure out when, you need to make sure that this step is completed.  Failure to do so and the "when" doesn't even matter.

Next, the macros will vary with activity for the day and what the goal in mind is.  For instance, if it's just general weight loss, then a good 50/30/20 (Carbs/Fats/Proteins) should be good to go.  If you want to shred, almost a complete reversal of all of that would be more necessary.  So, depending on what you want, your macros should fall in line with that.

Regarding the timing, let's begin with pre and post workout.  Generally speaking, having a percentage of carbohydrates and proteins prior to workout is ideal, depending on how rigorous the workout is. For example, a 4-6 mile run has a very different energy requirement when compared to a 3x5 squat workout.  Thus, look at the general energy requirement.  If you are doing cardio in excess, go carb heavy.  If you are doing weight training in excess, go carb moderate.  If you are doing weight training light, then go fat heavy.  You see the idea here.

Post workout, you should always look at 10% protein (when compared to bodyweight).  For example, I'm about 215lbs, and therefore my post workout meal should contain around 21.5g of protein.  Carbs help, but when you are doing a voluminous workout, they are more important than a higher intensity & lower volume workout.

Breakfast is the next meal I'd target.  Some advice that I'd generally give is that if you're hungry when your feet hit the floor, eat a protein rich breakfast (eggs, etc.).  If you are like I have been lately, and not that hungry, go ahead and skip breakfast (I know right?!).  My breakfast is usually an abundance of coffee and not much else.  I generally don't eat until midway through the day, which is contrary to the popular advice given.  Now, it still depends on your calorie requirements, so you may need to spread this out throughout the day amongst small meals, but I don't function that way.

Finally, looking at dinner (or supper, depending on your culture).  This is where I receive the majority of my calories.   This is normal among American culture, and thus rather than try to fight it, I embrace it.  I usually get about 700-1200 calories in this meal, with the rest coming from one other meal of the day.  Thinking about it, after watching my dogs eat, this appears to be pretty normal for many animals.  T
hey eat 1-2x per day depending on the availability of food.  We, as humans, have access to so much food it's not even funny, and therefore we're fat, lazy, and generally unhealthy.

Since I've gone to 2x per day meals, I feel better, look better (I think), and function better.  I can still squat well over 300lbs, run over 5 miles without stopping, and feel good about the way I look.  Any further meals would just increase my calories to an excess amount and too few would result in me looking sickly.

Look at your food timing and frequency.  What happens when you eat at breakfast, lunch, or dinner?  Are your calories in excess or not?  Depending on your goals, this may be reasonable.  Evaluate your daily routine and you'll be surprised by what you're doing that you don't even realize.


No comments:

Post a Comment