Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Squats, Pull-ups, and some other stuff...

Squats and Pull-ups.  These are definitely my two favorite lifts (yes, I count pull-ups as a lift).  I try and get an attempt on these at least once per week as they make me feel pretty strong and if done well, can crush your metabolism.

Squats are one of most effective and simplest exercises to perform.  You can perform these without weight, holding dumbbells, barbells, and several other methods of supporting additional weight.  When you use weight, you involve your upper body as well as your lower body.  The upper body is the support of the weight while the lower body is what moves the weight.

My favorite type of squat is a low-bar back squat.  Meaning, the bar sit's pretty low on my shoulder blades (it's made some of my friends nervous to spot before).  My least favorite type is honestly the front squat.  Front squats, while effective, are just sucky.  They humble me nearly every time I attempt to perform these terrible bastards.

Pull-ups on the other hand are one of the most difficult exercises to perform.  I had to get good at them for the Marine Corps and since then I've appreciated the difficulty and the value that pull-ups give.  It's one of those exercises that I never want to lose the ability to perform.  There have been times where I've felt that it were close to my unable to perform, usually after a hiatus, but I think the last time I couldn't' do any was in early high school.

Getting to one pull-up is one of the most difficult things for someone unable to perform them to do.  Once you get to 1, it's not too bad.  But getting to one can feel next to impossible.

I tend to take a slightly greater than shoulder width grip, palms out (in is a chin up), start from a dead-hang and pull your chin over the bar (this is a minimum).  There are other versions of this, but this is the most comfortable for me.  I also usually take a dip belt (a belt with a chain) and add some extra weight to make it harder.  The most I've done is +100lbs onto my body weight (for 1), though I tend to go with 45-60lbs.

Finally, sometimes I go with some abdominal exercises, low back/glute/hamstring exercises, and even some "arm" exercises to round out a training session.  Because the abdominal and the low-back muscles are pivotal in most lifts, I try to hit these in each training session.  It's not that they will all of a sudden decrease your fat mass over them, it's because they support the exercises that do.

Squats and pull-ups.  The kings of exercises.  Mastery of these will turn you into a beast.  Stay strong my friends.  

No comments:

Post a Comment