Monday, February 13, 2017

Why personal training can be cheaper than a trip to the doctor's office.

Something that I do on a regular basis is advise my clients on how they should be feeling or not.  To remember, I'm not a doctor.  However, with experience, I've learned about when one should actually go to a doctor.  This has been a gift from working with a variety of people both as clients and as colleagues.

There are some people that you will find every other week in a doctor's office waiting room.  Very often, they will get the advice that they were looking for, and perhaps the pill, and go on until they run out and need to go again.  You have others who only fear the lifestyle change that is required for them to avoid the doctor's office.

Now, I'm not going to lie, I'm sometimes very skeptical of physicians.  Not to say that they are all like that, in fact, I've met some good ones.  I only believe that to them, I'm a number.  Very few actually know who I am and what I do on a daily basis and I'd imagine that many who are reading this have the same experiences with physicians.

When you see a personal trainer, either via online or in-person, you develop a relationship with that trainer.  The great part is that depending on the network that the trainer has, they can be an asset for you and can help you learn how your body feels better than you would already know.

I have clients who routinely ask whether or not they should go see a doctor.  Very often my advice is simple....if it hurts for a few days and nothing improves, you should probably go.  If it get's better, than no doctor and you save on medical bills.  Most people don't realize that some problems can be remedied with time, and they just rush off for the pill or the wrap.

Lastly, I want to remind you that I do trust physicians overall, but I believe that many are asked to do so much that they often have lapses in judgment or fail to gain a relationship with each of their patient.  

No comments:

Post a Comment